Thursday, June 5, 2014

Are you off today?

Twice I have been asked this question. How could such a simple question be so challenging for me to answer? My insides immediately cringe, and I honestly do not know how to answer. I don't even know what tense to use when describing my current work status.

I was a teacher? I am a teacher? I'm home now. Do I get days off? Is today a day off? Definitely not...I can't stop staring at my watch and nervously waiting to get back to Baby B who I am sure is fine with Nana at home. Plus, I want to hurry so I can pick up Sissy at preschool.

The truth is, I taught middle school math for ten years. I am currently home on maternity leave for two years. So I don't know if I am a teacher or if I was a teacher. If I was currently a teacher, today would definitely be a day off...but I am not a teacher...I'm home with my kids...so is everyday a day off or do I never have a day off? Who knew that such a simple question was actually quite loaded!

I honestly don't know how to answer this question, except to say, I'm home now. I love being home. It's what I was meant to do. I am certain of it. Everyday is a good day to me. I am not home because I am blessed, or lucky, or financially loaded. I am home because my husband and I choose me to be home because it is the best decision for our family. I feel blessed and lucky but I know how those words can sting. And just to be clear, we are definitely not financially loaded :)

Final Answer: I am home now so I try to keep everyday busy! I work hard everyday to ensure that my family knows they are loved, their bellies are full with yummy food, we exercise our bodies, we do schoolwork, and we thank God for all we have. Life is simple, it's not easy, but it's simple. Love your family, always. Never take a day off.










No comments:

Post a Comment